You use your knee every time you take a step. Because of this, living with a worn or injured knee joint can be painful and frustrating. Even simple things, such as squatting to pick up the morning paper, may cause pain. But you don’t have to live this way. In many cases an orthopedic surgeon(a doctor who treats bone and joint problems) can replace the damaged knee joint. The surgery is safe and effective. For many people, having a total knee replacement means return to pain-free movement.
A problem knee
No matter what your age, a problem with the knee joint may keep you from activities you enjoy. Pain and stiffness amy even limit the daily tasks you can do. Problems with the knee joint tend to buold up over time. Your knee pain may be caused by any of the following:
- A bad injury that did not heal properly
- A chronic illness
- Wear and tear from years of constant use
Surgery can help
You may not have to live with knee pain for the rest of you life. Total knee replacement surgery almost always reduces joint pain. During this surgery your damaged knee joint is replaced with an artificial joint (called a prosthesis). Surgery can’t make you young again, but it can bring real benefits.
Benefits of knee replacement
After a total knee replacement, you can look forward to moving more easily. Most people gain all of the benefits listed below. Knee replacement surgery almost always:
- Stops or greatly reduces joint pain. Even the pain from surgery should go away within weeks.
- Increases leg strength. Without knee pain, you’ll be able to use your legs more. This will build up your muscles.
- Improves your quality of life by allowing you to do daily tasks and low-impact activities in greater comfort.
- Provides years of easier movement. Most total knee replacements last for many years.